The key to a fun shopping experience in central Wisconsin, as many “expert shoppers” will tell you, is choosing the right time and the right place. While the main access routes to most towns these days are filled with box stores and tourist traps the real culture of the community still stands on the old main streets and town squares. It’s a good plan when visiting our area to check a map and work out where the old downtown is. If you find a shop you like on the web, Google the address. You’ll often find that the interesting shops tend to be close to one another. As for the “when”, anytime is good but the experience can be even better when there is a local festival or holiday event going on as well. Here in Baraboo for example there are a variety of art fairs and flee markets on the Downtown Square which conveniently is where many of the nice shops are located. You’ll find a similar situation in Spring Green and even in Wisconsin Dells where the small shops are just off the main routes.
We invite you to visit…
- Just Imagine Toys – Located in Downtown Baraboo. No video games. Just unique, fun & smart toys for your kids.
- Baraboo Candy – Located on Highway 12 Between Baraboo and Wisconsin Dells
- The Country Sampler in Spring Green – Quilting & Cross Stitching kits & supplies, primitive folk art and reproduction home furnishings.
- The Cornerstone Gallery – on the square in Downtown Baraboo
More from Skillet Creek
- Antiquing – Our hand selected list of antique shops in the area.
- Events Calendar – Find great events for shoppers including art fairs & flee markets.